Luxembourg - Chapellerie Mersch-Berweiler ND front Luxembourg - Chapellerie Mersch-Berweiler ND back
Luxembourg - Chapellerie Mersch-Berweiler ND photo
© smy77 (CC BY-NC-SA)

Luxembourg - Chapellerie Mersch-Berweiler ND

 
Plastic 9 g 52 mm
Description
Location
Luxembourg
Type
Medals › Advertising medallions
Composition
Plastic
Weight
9 g
Diameter
52 mm
Thickness
3 mm
Shape
Round
Orientation
Variable alignment ↺
Demonetized
Yes
Updated
2024-11-12
References
Numista
N#388875
Rarity index
97%

Reverse

Mirror, anepigraph

Comment

Advertising token from Mersch-Berweiler et fils. Mersch-Berweiler is Luxembourg's longest-established hatmaker. Founded in 1871 (or 1872, opinions differ) by Jean Mersch and Elise Berweiler, the company, initially located on rue des Capucins, seems to have got off to a rocky start, as they tried to sell their store in 1889. In 1895, the couple bought and moved their millinery business to a building at 6, rue du Marché-aux-Herbes. The business was taken over in 1903 by their son Mathias Mersch and his partner Marie van Werveke.

Marie van Werveke was the daughter of Nicolas van Werveke, a renowned historian and numismatist. Nicolas van Werveke seems to have taken advantage of the location of his daughter's store to do some research. The millinery was built on the foundations of an old tower. The foundations were (according to Prof. Van Werveke's investigations) still visible and well preserved.

In 1935, the couple closed their business on rue du Marché-aux-Herbes and reopened a year later next to the Palais Royal (4, rue de la Reine). Grandson Jules Mersch took over the millinery business in 1945. In April 1972, the company officially celebrates its centenary. Jules Mersch died without concubine or offspring on April 25, 1975.