Luxembourg - Brasserie St. Lambert ND (1934) front Luxembourg - Brasserie St. Lambert ND (1934) back
Luxembourg - Brasserie St. Lambert ND (1934) photo
© smy77 (CC BY-NC-SA)

Luxembourg - Brasserie St. Lambert ND

1934 year
Brass 4.45 g -
Description
Location
Luxembourg
Type
Trade tokens › Business tokens
Year
1934
Composition
Brass
Weight
4.45 g
Size
23.7 × 23.7 mm
Thickness
1.32 mm
Shape
Square with rounded corners
Technique
Milled
Orientation
Medal alignment ↑↑
Demonetized
1948
Updated
2024-11-13
References
Numista
N#373215
Rarity index
97%

Reverse

Boy standing three-quarter right, holding a ball with his right hand and extending his left, the ground littered with fallen pins. Name of intermediary house in exergue.

Script: Latin

Lettering: A. NIMAX LUXBG

Edge

Plain

Comment

Token for the Brasserie Saint Lambert, run by the couple Joseph Baur and Elise Feller from December 1, 1934 until April 1948. The establishment, located at 4 avenue Mühlenbach (now 6 avenue Pasteur), was founded at the end of the 19th century. The couple Antoine Scheid and Suzanne Roden, owners and predecessors of Jos. Baur-Feller, also had two different tokens minted (ML 334a + ML 335). The Baur-Feller café had 3 bowling alleys, a dance hall and several rooms on the 1st floor. The Baur-Feller couple had 5 different tokens struck, all with the same reverse. The Scheid-Roden family, who still owned the establishment, sold the building in April 1948 for 900,000 FLUX (€22,500). The buyers, Emile Fischer and Marie Nickels, kept the café until 1957, during which time they issued a token (ML 173).
The establishment no longer exists.



Jos Baur was originally from the Grund district of Luxembourg City. His main activity was a painting business he had inherited from his father, which he ran alongside the café. Following the sale of the café in 1948, he moved his painting business to 214, route de Longwy. Jos Baur died on April 16, 1955; the painting business remained in the family and was finally taken over by his son in 1961.

Token commissioned by the intermediary firm Aloyse Nimax and minted by the Fisch & Cie workshop in Brussels. The reverse die was used for the five Baur-Feller café tokens. This die, kept in the cabinet des médailles in Luxembourg, is unique and was only used by Jos. Baur.