Token - Australasian Jam Company (Wage Token) ND (1895-1970) front Token - Australasian Jam Company (Wage Token) ND (1895-1970) back
Token - Australasian Jam Company (Wage Token) ND (1895-1970) photo
© mike c (CC BY-SA)

Token - Australasian Jam Company Wage Token ND

 
Brass 29 g 42 mm
Description
Location
Australia
Type
Trade tokens › Work encampment, mine and wage tokens
Years
1895-1970
Composition
Brass
Weight
29 g
Diameter
42 mm
Thickness
2 mm
Shape
Round (Holed)
Technique
Milled
Updated
2024-11-13
References
Numista
N#416268
Rarity index
97%

Reverse

Blank.

Comment

These are part of a Token Payment System for employees of the OK Jam Factory, South Yarra, Melbourne, Australia. 

The OK company produced jams, sauces and other condiments until its closure in 1970.

The Token Payment System comprised of individual numbered brass checks, corresponding cylinder pay tins and the boards and boxes to hold them.

 

There are Three basic tokens:

40 to 41 (approx) mm dia with larger sized punched numbers (13 mm High); 18 mm between WORKERS & CHECK

41.5 to 42 (approx) mm dia with larger sized punched numbers (13 mm High); 18 mm between WORKERS & CHECK

42 to 42.5 (approx) mm dia with smaller sized punched numbers (10 mm high); 15 mm between WORKERS & CHECK

Variable thickness and minor changes in diameters occur

as well as a truncated Temporary or part time staff check.

 

The 40 mm with large engraved numbers were the original wage checks (1066 highest sighted)

The 42 mm with small numbers are replacement checks for lost or for additional staff numbering. (2017 highest number sighted)

 

 

The Jam Factory was first established in 1858 as the Victoria Brewery with residents Albert Terry and his family also living in part of the factory. At this time, the building and land were valued at a modest 150 pounds.  

In 1876 the Victoria Brewery closed down. The building and land were then sold for 5,350 pounds to Robert Wright and Robert Payne. No longer a Brewery, the new company was named the Victoria Preserving Company. 

Four years later, in 1880, the building became known as the 'Red Cross' preserving company. Employing 230 hands, in season the company was the largest employer in Prahran.  In 1895, Mr William Peacock bought the premises and turned it into the 'OK' Jam Co