


Token - Australasian Jam Company Wage Token ND
Brass | 21 g | 40 mm |
Location | Australia |
---|---|
Type | Trade tokens › Work encampment, mine and wage tokens |
Years | 1895-1970 |
Composition | Brass |
Weight | 21 g |
Diameter | 40 mm |
Thickness | 2 mm |
Shape | Round (Holed) |
Technique | Milled |
Updated | 2024-11-13 |
Numista | N#416267 |
---|---|
Rarity index | 97% |
Reverse
Blank.
Comment
These are part of a Token Payment System for employees of the OK Jam Factory, South Yarra, Melbourne, Australia.
The OK company produced jams, sauces and other condiments until its closure in 1970.
The Token Payment System comprised of individual numbered brass checks, corresponding cylinder pay tins and the boards and boxes to hold them.
There are Three basic tokens:
40 to 41 (approx) mm dia with larger sized punched numbers (13 mm High); 18 mm between WORKERS & CHECK
41.5 to 42 (approx) mm dia with larger sized punched numbers (13 mm High); 18 mm between WORKERS & CHECK
42 to 42.5 (approx) mm dia with smaller sized punched numbers (10 mm high); 15 mm between WORKERS & CHECK
Variable thickness and minor changes in diameters occur
as well as a truncated Temporary or part time staff check.
The 40 mm with large engraved numbers were the original wage checks (1066 highest sighted)
The 42 mm with small numbers are replacement checks for lost or for additional staff numbering. (2017 highest number sighted)
The Jam Factory was first established in 1858 as the Victoria Brewery with residents Albert Terry and his family also living in part of the factory. At this time, the building and land were valued at a modest 150 pounds.
In 1876 the Victoria Brewery closed down. The building and land were then sold for 5,350 pounds to Robert Wright and Robert Payne. No longer a Brewery, the new company was named the Victoria Preserving Company.
Four years later, in 1880, the building became known as the 'Red Cross' preserving company. Employing 230 hands, in season the company was the largest employer in Prahran. In 1895, Mr William Peacock bought the premises and turned it into the 'OK' Jam Co