


Medal - Cathedral of Saint Demetrius Craiova
1858 yearBronze | - | 64.0 mm |
Location | Wallachia (Moldavia and Wallachia) |
---|---|
Type | Commemorative medals › Inauguration medals |
Year | 1858 |
Composition | Bronze |
Diameter | 64.0 mm |
Shape | Round |
Technique | Milled |
Demonetized | Yes |
Updated | 2024-11-14 |
Numista | N#340053 |
---|---|
Rarity index | 100% |
Reverse
Crowned eagle facing right, holding cross in beak, sword in left claw and sceptre in right claw. Inscription in eight lines below. Laurel wreath around.
Script: Latin
Lettering:
ÎN DILELE ÎN . SALE PRINȚU-
LUĬ ALECSANDRU DIM. GHICA,
ÎN ALŬ DOILEAGUVERNU ALŬ
SÂU, FIINDU EPISCOPU CALINICU
ALU EPARHIEI RIMNICU . EAR
MINISTRU, BISERICESCU AD
INTERIM, ❧ GRIGORIE
BENGESCU IId
Unabridged legend: În zilele înălțimii sale Prințului Alexandru Dimitrie Ghica, în al doilea guvern al său, fiind Episcopul Calinicu al eparhiei Râmnicu, iar ministrul bisericesc ad interim, Grigore Bengescu.
Translation: In the days of his highness Prince Alexandru Dimitrie Ghica, in his second government, Calinicu being Bishop of the diocese of Râmnicu, and Grigore Bengescu the ad interim church minister.
Comment
The church of Saint Demetrius in Craiova was likely built by the ban Barbu Craiovescu, who owned the estate and the village of Craiova, before 1500. In 1838, an earthquake caused considerable damage to the church. The altar wall was cracked in many places, and the spires partly collapsed. The damages could not be repaired and in 1849, the church was closed.In 1858, the caimacan of Wallachia Alexandru Dimitrie Ghica struck this medal in support of the refurbishment of the church, but this never took place.
In 1861, Cezar Boliac made a report to the Ministry of Religious Affairs in which he showed the pitiful state of the church and the need for urgent repairs. The church was demolished in 1889 and rebuilt by French architect Emile André Lecomte du Nouy.